The properties of essential oils are what make them so beneficial. While most of them smell pleasant, that is just a byproduct of their real benefit. The term essential oil may sound simple, but they are complicated chemical compounds. (“Aromatherapy: How Scents Can Heal Us — Grateful Earth”)
“The ingredients in essential oils are organic because they consist of a molecule structure.” (“Introduction to Aromatherapy – BigGoals.com”) This structure is made of carbon atoms and bound by hydrogen atoms
“In some essential oils there may also be oxygen, nitrogen, and Sulphur atoms.” (“Introduction to Aromatherapy – BigGoals.com”) By familiarizing yourself with the chemical makeup of essential oils you can understand how they might benefit your health. In turn you will also be able to understand why some oils are hazardous. (“Aromatherapy: How Scents Can Heal Us — Grateful Earth”)
Main Chemicals in Essential Oils
- Monoterpenes which have antiseptic and healing properties.
- Sesquiterpenes are anti-inflammatory and anti-infectious, they also have calming qualities. (“Aromatherapy: How Scents Can Heal Us — Grateful Earth”)
- Phenols are a stimulant and best used in small quantities. • Alcohols are antiseptic, antibacterial, antibiotic, and anti-fungal. They also stimulate one’s immune system. (“Aromatherapy: How Scents Can Heal Us — Grateful Earth”)
- Ethers are anti-bacterial, anti-spasmodic, and anti-inflammatory.
- Ketones have relaxing and sedative properties. They are also an anti-coagulant and can stimulate the immune system.
- Aldehydes can also be used as an anti-inflammatory and to calm nerves.
- Coumarins are anti-convulsant and anti coagulative. They can also be used as a sedative.
Best Wishes, Coyalita
See Tomorrow: “Recipes for Home”
Just use your first name and valid email address – I will never sell or share your email address with anyone. Never. You may unsubscribe anytime. I hate spam just as much as you do.
Leave A Reply